Thursday, May 5, 2011

Just call me Reverend Jade

On Saturday, April 30th, I had the honor of officiating my sister's wedding.  I have never done anything like that before, no I am not actually a Reverend or Pastor of any kind.  Unfortunately (because I don't necessarily agree that it should be so easy to be "ordained") it is easy as filling out a form on the internet and submitting with the Universal Life Church.  No fees, no background check, no proof of ID.  And, when you are ordained, you are given the power (and legality) to:

•Perform marriages, funerals, baptisms, ceremonial rites, and last rites.


•Start your own church, be it brick & mortar or online.

•Absolve others of their sins.

•Use the title Reverend, Minister, Healer, Educator, and more.
 
Now, there are many people that should not have this knowledge.  But my only intent was so that I could legally "marry" my sister and her husband, as they wished.  I do not believe I have the expertise or should have any part of starting a church, absolving anyone of their sins or using a title that should be reserved for such with better credentials and intent and have sworn this as their duty led by God.  However, it was handy to be able to get for my purposes, which were to join my sister and her husband together in marriage based on their beliefs. Included is a picture of the lovely couple and me "marrying" them.  Stay tuned for a post on their actual wedding.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment